The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 3.28% or 6.95 points to trade at 218.82 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 2.80% or 6.61 points to end at 242.38 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) was up 2.44% or 5.17 points to 216.90 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 1.32% or 4.91 points to trade at 367.16 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 0.94% or 1.54 points to end at 162.81 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 0.88% or 1.19 points to 134.24.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which rose 10.48% to 81.19, Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which was up 10.35% to settle at 11.79 and Cimarex Energy Co (NYSE: XEC ) which gained 8.42% to close at 64.39.
The worst performers were CarMax Inc (NYSE: KMX ) which was down 7.07% to 123.28 in late trade, PVH Corp (NYSE: PVH ) which lost 4.50% to settle at 100.94 and Capri Holdings Ltd (NYSE: CPRI ) which was down 3.33% to 49.30 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Uxin Ltd (NASDAQ: UXIN ) which rose 69.23% to 1.980, Applied Molecular Transport Inc (NASDAQ: AMTI ) which was up 45.13% to settle at 63.87 and Liberty Tripadvisor Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: LTRPB ) which gained 34.14% to close at 51.00.
The worst performers were AzurRx BioPharma Inc (NASDAQ: AZRX ) which was down 23.88% to 1.020 in late trade, Recon Technology Ltd (NASDAQ: RCON ) which lost 20.52% to settle at 5.150 and Akumin Inc (NASDAQ: AKU ) which was down 17.57% to 3.05 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2465 to 633 and 63 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2377 rose and 834 declined, while 67 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 10.67% to 17.33 a new 52-week low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.85% or 14.60 to $1730.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 3.67% or 2.17 to hit $61.33 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 3.09% or 1.94 to trade at $64.68 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.38% to 1.1772, while USD/JPY fell 0.07% to 110.62.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.31% at 92.948.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.