The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 4.85% or 8.79 points to trade at 189.95 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 2.96% or 2.65 points to end at 91.91 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 2.18% or 6.39 points to 299.89 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 1.44% or 2.09 points to trade at 143.02 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 1.39% or 1.05 points to end at 74.75 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) shed 1.21% or 2.53 points to 206.24.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Affiliated Managers Group Inc (NYSE: AMG ) which rose 15.61% to 129.96, Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which was up 13.10% to settle at 8.98 and Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which gained 12.46% to close at 25.37.
The worst performers were Hasbro Inc (NASDAQ: HAS ) which was down 4.50% to 92.90 in late trade, Align Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ALGN ) which lost 3.61% to settle at 598.08 and Cardinal Health Inc (NYSE: CAH ) which was down 2.86% to 52.71 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Ocugen, Inc (NASDAQ: OCGN ) which rose 186.48% to 15.0400, Arya Sciences Acquisition Corp Class A (NASDAQ: ARYA ) which was up 112.14% to settle at 23.78 and AEterna Zentaris Inc (NASDAQ: AEZS ) which gained 113.51% to close at 2.370.
The worst performers were Davidstea Inc (NASDAQ: DTEA ) which was down 16.60% to 4.420 in late trade, Erytech Pharma SA ADR (NASDAQ: ERYP ) which lost 16.26% to settle at 9.69 and Wah Fu Education Group Ltd (NASDAQ: WAFU ) which was down 11.79% to 6.660 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2177 to 815 and 81 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2357 rose and 764 declined, while 44 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.11% to 21.52.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.24% or 22.45 to $1835.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 1.88% or 1.07 to hit $57.92 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 1.63% or 0.97 to trade at $60.53 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.10% to 1.2054, while USD/JPY fell 0.16% to 105.19.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.06% at 90.912.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.