The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 2.00% or 4.05 points to trade at 206.20 at the close. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) added 1.68% or 0.91 points to end at 55.14 and Honeywell International Inc (NASDAQ: HON ) was up 1.67% or 3.38 points to 205.22 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which lost 0.61% or 1.34 points to trade at 216.62 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 0.56% or 0.43 points to end at 75.73 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 0.22% or 0.31 points to 139.49.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which rose 5.76% to 1067.00, ViacomCBS Inc (NASDAQ: VIAC ) which was up 4.80% to settle at 30.58 and Micron Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MU ) which gained 4.52% to close at 94.42.
The worst performers were Coterra Energy Inc (NYSE: CTRA ) which was down 1.82% to 19.39 in late trade, Hologic Inc (NASDAQ: HOLX ) which lost 1.42% to settle at 76.12 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) which was down 1.41% to 58.71 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were 22nd Century Group Inc (NASDAQ: XXII ) which rose 38.64% to 3.050, Oncology Institute Inc (NASDAQ: TOI ) which was up 38.46% to settle at 10.44 and Pasithea Therapeutics Corp (NASDAQ: KTTA ) which gained 36.73% to close at 2.01.
The worst performers were InnovAge Holding Corp (NASDAQ: INNV ) which was down 35.64% to 5.31 in late trade, Jupiter Wellness Inc (NASDAQ: JUPW ) which lost 24.89% to settle at 0.954 and American Virtual Cloud Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: AVCT ) which was down 24.00% to 1.900 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2289 to 971 and 126 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2679 rose and 1163 declined, while 181 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.60% to 17.96 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.42% or 7.65 to $1809.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 1.32% or 0.96 to hit $73.72 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.01% or 0.01 to trade at $76.61 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1331, while USD/JPY rose 0.04% to 114.41.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.02% at 96.035.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.