The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which rose 2.37% or 0.89 points to trade at 38.51 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 1.91% or 5.50 points to end at 293.04 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 1.70% or 3.77 points to 225.61 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 4.61% or 6.06 points to trade at 125.40 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) declined 2.05% or 2.12 points to end at 101.06 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) shed 1.45% or 2.63 points to 179.24.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were IPG Photonics Corporation (NASDAQ: IPGP ) which rose 21.02% to 144.10, Jack Henry & Associates Inc (NASDAQ: JKHY ) which was up 8.75% to settle at 176.20 and Sealed Air Corporation (NYSE: SEE ) which gained 7.39% to close at 29.22.
The worst performers were Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was down 22.58% to 11.18 in late trade, WestRock Co (NYSE: WRK ) which lost 17.32% to settle at 25.06 and Leggett & Platt Incorporated (NYSE: LEG ) which was down 10.92% to 30.34 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Portola Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: PTLA ) which rose 130.03% to 17.85, CleanSpark Inc (NASDAQ: CLSK ) which was up 124.26% to settle at 3.05 and Ritter Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: RTTR ) which gained 87.68% to close at 0.6400.
The worst performers were Capitala Finance Corp (NASDAQ: CPTA ) which was down 25.27% to 2.81 in late trade, Remark Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MARK ) which lost 24.78% to settle at 0.6297 and My Size Inc (NASDAQ: MYSZ ) which was down 24.12% to 1.510 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1625 to 1251 and 57 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1370 rose and 1281 declined, while 58 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.56% to 33.61.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.05% or 0.85 to $1714.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 24.28% or 4.95 to hit $25.34 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.54% or 0.17 to trade at $31.79 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.05% to 1.0843, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 106.58.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.31% at 99.873.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.