The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which rose 3.03% or 2.34 points to trade at 79.49 at the close. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) added 2.34% or 3.75 points to end at 163.87 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) was up 2.12% or 3.01 points to 144.69 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which lost 1.18% or 1.68 points to trade at 140.66 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 1.01% or 1.61 points to end at 157.82 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 0.81% or 0.39 points to 48.01.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Dominion Energy Inc (NYSE: D ) which rose 4.53% to 75.22, Edwards Lifesciences Corp (NYSE: EW ) which was up 3.52% to settle at 115.00 and Deere & Company (NYSE: DE ) which gained 3.39% to close at 343.09.
The worst performers were Ulta Beauty Inc (NASDAQ: ULTA ) which was down 10.58% to 363.35 in late trade, Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which lost 6.12% to settle at 26.52 and Western Union Co (NYSE: WU ) which was down 5.26% to 20.17 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Xiaobai Maimai Inc (NASDAQ: HX ) which rose 42.58% to 9.5100, Kaival Brands Innovations Group Inc (NASDAQ: KAVL ) which was up 39.75% to settle at 2.250 and Huadi International Group Co Ltd (NASDAQ: HUDI ) which gained 26.03% to close at 10.700.
The worst performers were Galera Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: GRTX ) which was down 69.59% to 2.250 in late trade, Atea Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: AVIR ) which lost 65.96% to settle at 13.82 and Remitly Global Inc (NASDAQ: RELY ) which was down 16.19% to 33.91 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1885 to 1304 and 143 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2275 rose and 1321 declined, while 195 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.74% to 15.70 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.25% or 4.40 to $1770.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December rose 0.72% or 0.59 to hit $82.28 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 0.74% or 0.62 to trade at $84.95 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.22% to 1.1634, while USD/JPY rose 0.04% to 114.36.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.18% at 93.778.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.