The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ), which rose 3.32% or 1.60 points to trade at 49.83 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 2.69% or 3.67 points to end at 140.30 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) was up 2.39% or 0.95 points to 40.69 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 1.47% or 0.58 points to trade at 38.76 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 1.16% or 2.44 points to end at 207.71 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) shed 1.10% or 1.29 points to 115.89.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which rose 7.38% to 37.84, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which was up 6.76% to settle at 17.21 and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which gained 6.25% to close at 17.69.
The worst performers were eBay Inc (NASDAQ: EBAY ) which was down 3.62% to 54.27 in late trade, Tractor Supply Company (NASDAQ: TSCO ) which lost 2.72% to settle at 146.91 and ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which was down 2.59% to 303.04 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were VivoPower International PLC (NASDAQ: VVPR ) which rose 69.06% to 8.250, Edesa Biotech Inc (NASDAQ: EDSA ) which was up 40.28% to settle at 8.15 and Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which gained 29.94% to close at 2.3000.
The worst performers were Destination XL Group Inc (NASDAQ: DXLG ) which was down 21.09% to 0.355 in late trade, Uxin Ltd (NASDAQ: UXIN ) which lost 13.33% to settle at 0.910 and Oncternal Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ONCT ) which was down 12.24% to 2.15 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2144 to 916 and 75 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1831 rose and 950 declined, while 94 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.17% to 22.96.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 2.09% or 40.40 to $1973.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.19% or 0.08 to hit $42.96 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.59% or 0.27 to trade at $45.87 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.68% to 1.1901, while USD/JPY fell 1.11% to 105.36.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.76% at 92.287.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.