The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which rose 2.62% or 4.81 points to trade at 188.70 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 2.35% or 7.92 points to end at 344.67 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) was up 1.88% or 0.90 points to 48.87 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ), which lost 1.06% or 0.64 points to trade at 59.96 in late trade. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 1.03% or 1.20 points to end at 115.25 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 0.76% or 2.19 points to 287.03.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC ) which rose 11.30% to 26.00, Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was up 5.09% to settle at 52.26 and Loews Corp (NYSE: L ) which gained 4.81% to close at 55.81.
The worst performers were ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which was down 6.86% to 174.08 in late trade, National Oilwell Varco Inc (NYSE: NOV ) which lost 5.38% to settle at 22.88 and Cimarex Energy Co (NYSE: XEC ) which was down 5.22% to 40.82 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were vTv Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VTVT ) which rose 52.38% to 3.200, Kezar Life Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: KZR ) which was up 34.58% to settle at 5.02 and Co-Diagnostics Inc (NASDAQ: CODX ) which gained 32.00% to close at 3.960.
The worst performers were Valeritas Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: VLRX ) which was down 42.91% to 0.3625 in late trade, Technical Communications (NASDAQ: TCCO ) which lost 33.92% to settle at 3.00 and Benitec Biopharma Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: BNTC ) which was down 25.27% to 5.56 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1634 to 1161 and 85 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1517 rose and 1113 declined, while 84 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.78% to 15.04.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.14% or 2.15 to $1575.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 1.37% or 0.69 to hit $49.63 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract fell 0.02% or 0.01 to trade at $53.41 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.0913, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 109.77.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.18% at 98.745.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.