The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which rose 2.95% or 1.70 points to trade at 59.25 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 2.83% or 9.44 points to end at 342.54 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 2.80% or 4.89 points to 179.45 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 1.37% or 5.43 points to trade at 391.06 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 1.20% or 2.50 points to end at 205.06 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) shed 0.79% or 1.68 points to 210.89.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Oracle Corporation (NYSE: ORCL ) which rose 15.61% to 102.63, Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F ) which was up 9.61% to settle at 21.45 and Broadcom Inc (NASDAQ: AVGO ) which gained 8.27% to close at 631.68.
The worst performers were Southwest Airlines Company (NYSE: LUV ) which was down 3.76% to 41.97 in late trade, Ventas Inc (NYSE: VTR ) which lost 2.77% to settle at 48.37 and United Rentals Inc (NYSE: URI ) which was down 2.45% to 347.81 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Qutoutiao Inc (NASDAQ: QTT ) which rose 733.33% to 3.7000, SigmaTron International Inc (NASDAQ: SGMA ) which was up 84.67% to settle at 14.940 and Vasta Platform Ltd (NASDAQ: VSTA ) which gained 52.49% to close at 4.590.
The worst performers were Everbridge Inc (NASDAQ: EVBG ) which was down 45.39% to 63.00 in late trade, AGM Group Holdings Inc Class A (NASDAQ: AGMH ) which lost 38.18% to settle at 5.36 and Angion Biomedica Corp (NASDAQ: ANGN ) which was down 25.21% to 2.61 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1670 to 1586 and 134 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2334 fell and 1486 advanced, while 207 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 13.39% to 18.69.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.37% or 6.50 to $1783.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 1.42% or 1.01 to hit $71.95 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 1.25% or 0.93 to trade at $75.35 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.18% to 1.1312, while USD/JPY fell 0.05% to 113.39.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.20% at 96.055.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.