The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Raytheon Technologies Corp (NYSE: RTX ), which rose 2.57% or 1.68 points to trade at 67.05 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 2.25% or 4.53 points to end at 206.31 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 2.23% or 2.27 points to 103.95 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 2.99% or 2.28 points to trade at 74.02 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 1.26% or 1.16 points to end at 91.23 and Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) shed 1.16% or 0.39 points to 33.36.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were ViacomCBS Inc (NASDAQ: VIAC ) which rose 8.69% to 24.89, Lennar Corporation (NYSE: LEN ) which was up 7.17% to settle at 63.50 and ONEOK Inc (NYSE: OKE ) which gained 6.89% to close at 36.44.
The worst performers were Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG ) which was down 3.34% to 19.40 in late trade, Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) which lost 2.99% to settle at 74.02 and Corteva Inc (NYSE: CTVA ) which was down 2.80% to 26.77 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Urban One Inc Bats (NASDAQ: UONE ) which rose 255.43% to 6.540, Stellar Biotechnologies Inc (NASDAQ: EDSA ) which was up 100.00% to settle at 5.80 and China HGS Real Estate Inc (NASDAQ: HGSH ) which gained 72.00% to close at 1.2900.
The worst performers were Dragon Victory International Ltd (NASDAQ: LYL ) which was down 19.35% to 1.250 in late trade, Arts-Way Manufacturing Co Inc (NASDAQ: ARTW ) which lost 16.72% to settle at 2.540 and Extraction Oil & Gas Inc (NASDAQ: XOG ) which was down 16.68% to 0.533 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1913 to 952 and 69 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1966 rose and 725 declined, while 50 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.68% to 34.40.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.32% or 5.50 to $1731.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 2.29% or 0.83 to hit $37.09 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.03% or 0.01 to trade at $39.80 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.1322, while USD/JPY rose 0.04% to 107.36.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.73% at 96.615.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.