The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 4.28% or 8.67 points to trade at 211.39 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 3.20% or 2.71 points to end at 87.42 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 2.89% or 1.56 points to 55.60 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which lost 1.29% or 2.81 points to trade at 214.95 in late trade. Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ) declined 1.18% or 0.62 points to end at 52.14 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 0.99% or 3.45 points to 346.05.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which rose 11.17% to 19.40, Apache Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which was up 10.83% to settle at 16.37 and Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which gained 9.81% to close at 53.74.
The worst performers were VeriSign Inc (NASDAQ: VRSN ) which was down 3.29% to 206.56 in late trade, Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which lost 3.13% to settle at 141.00 and PulteGroup Inc (NYSE: PHM ) which was down 2.90% to 40.98 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Naked Brand Group Ltd (NASDAQ: NAKD ) which rose 97.52% to 0.430, Peck Company Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PECK ) which was up 78.86% to settle at 11.00 and Helius Medical Technologies Inc Class A (NASDAQ: HSDT ) which gained 61.44% to close at 18.130.
The worst performers were Bionano Genomics Inc (NASDAQ: BNGO ) which was down 25.14% to 5.390 in late trade, Mersana Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: MRSN ) which lost 25.64% to settle at 19.72 and Lumos Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: LUMO ) which was down 21.05% to 24.560 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2298 to 788 and 80 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2223 rose and 798 declined, while 56 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.34% to 25.53.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.33% or 6.40 to $1953.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 4.70% or 2.24 to hit $49.86 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 4.76% or 2.43 to trade at $53.52 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.41% to 1.2298, while USD/JPY fell 0.43% to 102.66.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.46% at 89.435.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.