The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 5.06% or 8.83 points to trade at 183.46 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 3.37% or 3.03 points to end at 92.83 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) was up 2.86% or 3.53 points to 127.14 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 1.93% or 4.58 points to trade at 232.62 in late trade. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) declined 1.70% or 4.57 points to end at 263.57 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 0.74% or 0.91 points to 122.03.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which rose 12.57% to 18.45, Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which was up 11.17% to settle at 46.59 and Apache Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which gained 9.97% to close at 15.11.
The worst performers were Ulta Beauty Inc (NASDAQ: ULTA ) which was down 3.66% to 278.94 in late trade, Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE ) which lost 3.37% to settle at 127.56 and Dominion Energy Inc (NYSE: D ) which was down 2.87% to 76.15 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were China HGS Real Estate Inc (NASDAQ: HGSH ) which rose 65.91% to 2.9200, Fangdd Network Group Ltd (NASDAQ: DUO ) which was up 43.44% to settle at 9.84 and Top Ships Inc (NASDAQ: TOPS ) which gained 37.82% to close at 1.6400.
The worst performers were Ever-Glory International Group Inc (NASDAQ: EVK ) which was down 27.43% to 3.810 in late trade, Kaixin Auto Holdings (NASDAQ: KXIN ) which lost 24.24% to settle at 4.970 and Lizhi Inc (NASDAQ: LIZI ) which was down 23.59% to 3.66 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2266 to 671 and 107 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2095 rose and 821 declined, while 76 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.73% to 20.70.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.06% or 1.15 to $1839.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 0.79% or 0.36 to hit $46.00 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.62% or 0.30 to trade at $49.01 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.02% to 1.2137, while USD/JPY rose 0.27% to 104.11.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.01% at 90.713.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.