The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 3.94% or 1.90 points to trade at 50.12 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 2.12% or 2.04 points to end at 98.24 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 1.68% or 3.40 points to 205.73 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which lost 0.54% or 0.31 points to trade at 57.56 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) declined 0.54% or 0.85 points to end at 157.91 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) shed 0.43% or 1.74 points to 401.95.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were EOG Resources Inc (NYSE: EOG ) which rose 8.33% to 75.31, Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which was up 7.80% to settle at 81.58 and Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which gained 7.67% to close at 12.63.
The worst performers were Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which was down 6.30% to 86.44 in late trade, Electronic Arts Inc (NASDAQ: EA ) which lost 5.73% to settle at 137.04 and Starbucks Corporation (NASDAQ: SBUX ) which was down 3.55% to 114.64 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were GreenSky LLC (NASDAQ: GSKY ) which rose 52.77% to 11.870, Indaptus Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: INDP ) which was up 52.05% to settle at 10.750 and Sphere 3D Corp (NASDAQ: ANY ) which gained 26.07% to close at 7.350.
The worst performers were Kaival Brands Innovations Group Inc (NASDAQ: KAVL ) which was down 42.13% to 2.610 in late trade, Sonim Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SONM ) which lost 29.06% to settle at 0.3710 and Nuwellis Inc (NASDAQ: NUWE ) which was down 27.64% to 2.670 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2232 to 977 and 136 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2248 rose and 1323 declined, while 153 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.58% to 18.18.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.69% or 12.55 to $1794.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 3.07% or 2.16 to hit $72.62 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 2.51% or 1.85 to trade at $75.45 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.11% to 1.1815, while USD/JPY fell 0.28% to 109.36.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.16% at 92.468.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.