The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 3.08% or 7.70 points to trade at 257.79 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 2.98% or 3.62 points to end at 125.30 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) was up 2.28% or 3.88 points to 174.33 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 0.96% or 2.23 points to trade at 228.94 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 0.73% or 1.63 points to end at 222.31 and Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) shed 0.44% or 0.20 points to 44.49.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which rose 9.97% to 11.14, Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which was up 9.44% to settle at 48.21 and Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which gained 8.16% to close at 6.83.
The worst performers were International Flavors & Fragrances Inc (NYSE: IFF ) which was down 3.08% to 111.42 in late trade, MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which lost 2.64% to settle at 574.75 and PulteGroup Inc (NYSE: PHM ) which was down 2.18% to 44.42 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Yumanity Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: YMTX ) which rose 1000.00% to 20.900, Ocugen, Inc (NASDAQ: OCGN ) which was up 240.29% to settle at 2.7400 and Jaguar Health Inc (NASDAQ: JAGX ) which gained 172.87% to close at 1.0800.
The worst performers were Cellectar Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: CLRB ) which was down 27.08% to 2.020 in late trade, Microvision Inc (NASDAQ: MVIS ) which lost 27.18% to settle at 6.7500 and Aurora Mobile Ltd (NASDAQ: JG ) which was down 19.83% to 3.840 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2227 to 851 and 89 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1905 rose and 1079 declined, while 80 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.80% to 22.34.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.23% or 4.35 to $1874.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 2.30% or 1.08 to hit $48.10 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 2.01% or 1.01 to trade at $51.17 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.13% to 1.2176, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 103.61.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.21% at 90.358.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.