The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 3.03% or 1.47 points to trade at 49.81 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 2.81% or 3.35 points to end at 122.40 and The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) was up 2.84% or 3.68 points to 133.33 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which lost 1.55% or 3.80 points to trade at 242.00 in late trade. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) declined 1.44% or 2.49 points to end at 170.24 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) shed 0.85% or 1.85 points to 215.59.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which rose 13.82% to 36.65, Arconic Corp (NYSE: ARNC ) which was up 8.91% to settle at 29.96 and Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which gained 6.29% to close at 27.55.
The worst performers were IHS Markit Ltd (NYSE: INFO ) which was down 5.62% to 93.87 in late trade, S&P Global Inc (NYSE: SPGI ) which lost 5.00% to settle at 334.20 and Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which was down 3.74% to 15.17 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Auris Medical Holding Ltd (NASDAQ: EARS ) which rose 382.88% to 5.360, TDH Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PETZ ) which was up 88.46% to settle at 2.450 and Second Sight Medical Products (NASDAQ: EYES ) which gained 54.32% to close at 1.50.
The worst performers were Titan Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: TTNP ) which was down 28.04% to 3.6700 in late trade, Minerva Neurosciences Inc (NASDAQ: NERV ) which lost 24.68% to settle at 2.93 and Tuniu Corp (NASDAQ: TOUR ) which was down 24.11% to 2.140 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2081 to 820 and 84 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1615 rose and 1210 declined, while 60 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.02% to 20.78.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 2.13% or 37.85 to $1818.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January fell 1.65% or 0.75 to hit $44.59 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 0.98% or 0.47 to trade at $47.41 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 1.04% to 1.2052, while USD/JPY rose 0.11% to 104.39.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.63% at 91.282.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.