The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 8.01% or 3.19 points to trade at 43.03 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 7.44% or 16.65 points to end at 240.50 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) was up 2.31% or 1.16 points to 51.05 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which lost 0.88% or 1.22 points to trade at 137.14 in late trade. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) declined 0.76% or 2.05 points to end at 269.05 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 0.60% or 0.91 points to 149.61.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which rose 9.79% to 25.69, Ralph Lauren Corp Class A (NYSE: RL ) which was up 9.74% to settle at 97.58 and Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which gained 9.74% to close at 23.22.
The worst performers were Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG ) which was down 5.57% to 16.10 in late trade, Kroger Company (NYSE: KR ) which lost 4.40% to settle at 30.87 and International Paper Company (NYSE: IP ) which was down 3.13% to 48.30 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Ever-Glory International Group Inc (NASDAQ: EVK ) which rose 177.62% to 5.830, Lizhi Inc (NASDAQ: LIZI ) which was up 148.73% to settle at 5.87 and Transglobe Energy Corp (NASDAQ: TGA ) which gained 41.96% to close at 0.724.
The worst performers were Splunk Inc (NASDAQ: SPLK ) which was down 22.04% to 160.53 in late trade, Lands’ End Inc (NASDAQ: LE ) which lost 17.16% to settle at 20.76 and Dada Nexus Ltd (NASDAQ: DADA ) which was down 14.18% to 46.00 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2082 to 844 and 91 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1775 rose and 1011 declined, while 87 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.57% to 21.05.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.71% or 12.95 to $1843.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 1.06% or 0.48 to hit $45.76 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 1.20% or 0.58 to trade at $48.83 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.26% to 1.2147, while USD/JPY fell 0.44% to 103.94.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.46% at 90.692.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.