The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 2.12% or 6.44 points to trade at 309.63 at the close. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) added 2.04% or 4.84 points to end at 242.60 and Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) was up 1.82% or 0.99 points to 55.34 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 2.06% or 1.15 points to trade at 54.68 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 1.02% or 0.54 points to end at 52.19 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 0.57% or 1.68 points to 294.22.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which rose 4.46% to 18.96, Jefferies Financial Group Inc (NYSE: JEF ) which was up 3.94% to settle at 21.90 and Align Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ALGN ) which gained 3.69% to close at 296.54.
The worst performers were Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which was down 6.54% to 46.15 in late trade, Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which lost 3.54% to settle at 17.43 and Capri Holdings Ltd (NYSE: CPRI ) which was down 3.39% to 36.72 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Applied Genetic (NASDAQ: AGTC ) which rose 122.84% to 9.27, Trillium Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TRIL ) which was up 93.96% to settle at 2.89 and Genetic Technologies Ltd (NASDAQ: GENE ) which gained 45.09% to close at 4.730.
The worst performers were Regulus Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: RGLS ) which was down 19.33% to 1.210 in late trade, Bed Bath & Beyond Inc (NASDAQ: BBBY ) which lost 19.22% to settle at 13.45 and Ecmoho Ltd (NASDAQ: MOHO ) which was down 18.95% to 6.97 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1536 to 1281 and 93 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1485 rose and 1152 declined, while 83 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.77% to 12.54.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.44% or 6.85 to $1553.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 0.03% or 0.02 to hit $59.59 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.05% or 0.03 to trade at $65.39 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.1105, while USD/JPY rose 0.03% to 109.55.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.14% at 97.132.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.