The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 2.64% or 6.44 points to trade at 250.61 at the close. Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) added 2.49% or 5.68 points to end at 233.99 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) was up 2.40% or 4.15 points to 176.73 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 2.44% or 10.28 points to trade at 411.26 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 0.13% or 0.07 points to end at 55.30 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 0.02% or 0.01 points to 60.98.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which rose 8.35% to 98.70, American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which was up 7.56% to settle at 20.92 and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which gained 7.47% to close at 78.08.
The worst performers were Cardinal Health Inc (NYSE: CAH ) which was down 14.28% to 50.56 in late trade, Cigna Corp (NYSE: CI ) which lost 10.93% to settle at 206.19 and DXC Technology Co (NYSE: DXC ) which was down 8.14% to 38.74 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Score Media and Gaming Inc (NASDAQ: SCR ) which rose 79.69% to 32.59, Zymergen Inc (NASDAQ: ZY ) which was up 75.88% to settle at 14.51 and Sitime Corporation (NASDAQ: SITM ) which gained 30.95% to close at 184.63.
The worst performers were Robinhood Markets Inc (NASDAQ: HOOD ) which was down 27.55% to 51.00 in late trade, Inogen Inc (NASDAQ: INGN ) which lost 26.77% to settle at 60.24 and Itron Inc (NASDAQ: ITRI ) which was down 26.50% to 71.78 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2148 to 1050 and 102 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2493 rose and 1037 declined, while 129 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.84% to 17.28.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.44% or 7.95 to $1806.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 1.45% or 0.99 to hit $69.14 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 1.31% or 0.92 to trade at $71.30 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.01% to 1.1833, while USD/JPY rose 0.28% to 109.78.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.00% at 92.273.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.