U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.80%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Healthcare and Technology sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.80%, while the S&P 500 index added 0.95%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.94%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 2.34% or 4.28 points to trade at 187.15 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 1.91% or 3.37 points to end at 180.20 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) was up 1.76% or 2.57 points to 148.71 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which lost 1.20% or 1.50 points to trade at 123.37 in late trade. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) declined 0.90% or 0.39 points to end at 43.00 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 0.70% or 2.12 points to 301.77.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which rose 5.85% to 51.39, JM Smucker Company (NYSE: SJM ) which was up 5.72% to settle at 130.31 and Valero Energy Corporation (NYSE: VLO ) which gained 4.61% to close at 145.08.
The worst performers were The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS ) which was down 4.00% to 57.18 in late trade, Etsy Inc (NASDAQ: ETSY ) which lost 2.80% to settle at 81.48 and JB Hunt Transport Services Inc (NASDAQ: JBHT ) which was down 2.49% to 176.57 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Aeroclean Technologies LLC (NASDAQ: AERC ) which rose 154.74% to 12.10, Applied UV Inc (NASDAQ: AUVI ) which was up 96.40% to settle at 2.18 and Kiromic Biopharma Inc (NASDAQ: KRBP ) which gained 79.22% to close at 0.50.
The worst performers were MoonLake Immunotherapeutics (NASDAQ: MLTX ) which was down 23.50% to 6.12 in late trade, Pmv Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: PMVP ) which lost 21.70% to settle at 10.86 and AN2 Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ANTX ) which was down 20.15% to 10.54 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2209 to 977 and 132 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2404 rose and 1420 declined, while 231 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.19% to 24.02 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.62% or 11.50 to $1,855.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 1.22% or 1.44 to hit $119.94 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 1.26% or 1.50 to trade at $121.01 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.13% to 1.07, while USD/JPY rose 0.58% to 132.63.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.13% at 102.32.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or