The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which rose 5.62% or 11.53 points to trade at 216.54 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 2.87% or 2.30 points to end at 82.54 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 2.70% or 4.27 points to 162.27 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 2.36% or 0.97 points to trade at 40.09 in late trade. Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO ) declined 1.99% or 0.94 points to end at 46.30 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 0.83% or 1.10 points to 131.78.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Varian Medical Systems Inc (NYSE: VAR ) which rose 22.04% to 174.17, McKesson Corporation (NYSE: MCK ) which was up 6.49% to settle at 159.90 and Cardinal Health Inc (NYSE: CAH ) which gained 6.26% to close at 58.04.
The worst performers were Under Armour Inc A (NYSE: UAA ) which was down 8.08% to 9.67 in late trade, Under Armour Inc C (NYSE: UA ) which lost 7.38% to settle at 8.79 and Foot Locker Inc (NYSE: FL ) which was down 7.32% to 27.24 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Marathon Patent Group Inc (NASDAQ: MARA ) which rose 88.67% to 3.830, Grindrod Shipping Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: GRIN ) which was up 68.75% to settle at 5.40 and Moxian Inc (NASDAQ: MOXC ) which gained 65.17% to close at 1.470.
The worst performers were Tiziana Life Sciences PLC ADR (NASDAQ: TLSA ) which was down 21.60% to 5.480 in late trade, 360 Finance Inc (NASDAQ: QFIN ) which lost 19.19% to settle at 11.20 and Vislink Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: VISL ) which was down 17.61% to 2.5700 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1989 to 1093 and 59 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2002 rose and 805 declined, while 46 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.74% to 24.28.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for October delivery was up 0.39% or 7.75 to $1981.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 1.19% or 0.48 to hit $40.75 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract fell 0.02% or 0.01 to trade at $43.88 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.02% to 1.1759, while USD/JPY rose 0.07% to 106.02.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.18% at 93.493.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.