U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.89%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Monday, as gains in the Technology , Industrials and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 0.89%, while the S&P 500 index added 1.67%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 2.53%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which rose 3.70% or 8.59 points to trade at 240.55 at the close. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) added 2.59% or 1.44 points to end at 56.95 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) was up 2.47% or 4.77 points to 198.02 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 1.74% or 0.88 points to trade at 49.38 in late trade. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 0.77% or 1.08 points to end at 139.41 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) shed 0.70% or 1.23 points to 174.43.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were International Flavors & Fragrances Inc (NYSE: IFF ) which rose 15.16% to 129.42, Skyworks Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: SWKS ) which was up 9.06% to settle at 184.58 and Xerox Corp (NYSE: XRX ) which gained 8.27% to close at 22.77.
The worst performers were Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC ) which was down 10.76% to 14.01 in late trade, Dupont De Nemours Inc (NYSE: DD ) which lost 8.31% to settle at 72.85 and Lumen Technologies Inc (NYSE: LUMN ) which was down 3.23% to 11.98 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Dynavax Technologies Corporation (NASDAQ: DVAX ) which rose 70.68% to 10.77, Ferroglobe PLC (NASDAQ: GSM ) which was up 51.98% to settle at 2.6900 and Viela Bio Inc (NASDAQ: VIE ) which gained 52.54% to close at 52.90.
The worst performers were Koss Corporation (NASDAQ: KOSS ) which was down 42.94% to 36.520 in late trade, Mingzhu Logistics Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: YGMZ ) which lost 35.74% to settle at 22.71 and Concert Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CNCE ) which was down 28.94% to 7.44 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2523 to 609 and 61 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2351 rose and 742 declined, while 51 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 9.58% to 29.92.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.74% or 13.60 to $1863.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 2.78% or 1.45 to hit $53.65 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 2.60% or 1.43 to trade at $56.45 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.60% to 1.2064, while USD/JPY rose 0.26% to 104.95.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.51% at 90.998.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or