The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Honeywell International Inc (NYSE: HON ), which rose 3.24% or 7.13 points to trade at 226.99 at the close. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) added 3.12% or 11.40 points to end at 376.29 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) was up 3.00% or 6.73 points to 231.18 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 1.13% or 0.62 points to trade at 54.17 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 1.12% or 1.82 points to end at 161.15 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) shed 1.05% or 2.68 points to 252.27.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were PVH Corp (NYSE: PVH ) which rose 5.63% to 110.44, Harley-Davidson Inc (NYSE: HOG ) which was up 3.65% to settle at 42.07 and Tapestry Inc (NYSE: TPR ) which gained 3.64% to close at 44.95.
The worst performers were Helmerich and Payne Inc (NYSE: HP ) which was down 4.09% to 25.80 in late trade, Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which lost 3.33% to settle at 18.60 and Molson Coors Brewing Co Class B (NYSE: TAP ) which was down 3.06% to 50.00 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Celcuity LLC (NASDAQ: CELC ) which rose 51.15% to 21.63, Affimed NV (NASDAQ: AFMD ) which was up 23.32% to settle at 9.73 and NCS Multistage Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: NCSM ) which gained 19.68% to close at 29.550.
The worst performers were Novo Integrated Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: NVOS ) which was down 24.38% to 2.730 in late trade, Franklin Wireless Corp (NASDAQ: FKWL ) which lost 23.54% to settle at 13.2 and Iterum Therapeutics PLC (NASDAQ: ITRM ) which was down 19.25% to 1.30 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1645 to 1415 and 108 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1834 fell and 1354 advanced, while 104 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.53% to 16.69 a new 52-week low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.83% or 14.60 to $1743.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 0.40% or 0.24 to hit $59.36 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.24% or 0.15 to trade at $63.05 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.06% to 1.1905, while USD/JPY rose 0.38% to 109.66.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.10% at 92.160.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.