The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 4.06% or 8.47 points to trade at 216.98 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 2.94% or 2.79 points to end at 97.64 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 2.58% or 4.22 points to 167.49 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 0.88% or 3.64 points to trade at 408.70 in late trade. Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) declined 0.80% or 1.72 points to end at 213.64 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.36% or 0.60 points to 163.93.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which rose 7.19% to 20.12, Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which was up 6.84% to settle at 30.44 and HollyFrontier Corporation (NYSE: HFC ) which gained 6.26% to close at 31.92.
The worst performers were FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX ) which was down 9.12% to 229.08 in late trade, Incyte Corporation (NASDAQ: INCY ) which lost 8.51% to settle at 69.59 and Facebook Inc (NASDAQ: FB ) which was down 3.99% to 343.21 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Marin Software Inc (NASDAQ: MRIN ) which rose 61.86% to 9.21, Aethlon Medical Inc (NASDAQ: AEMD ) which was up 33.16% to settle at 5.060 and China XD Plastics Company Limited (NASDAQ: CXDC ) which gained 30.76% to close at 0.5377.
The worst performers were Inotiv Inc (NASDAQ: NOTV ) which was down 31.68% to 34.11 in late trade, Rewalk Robotics Ltd (NASDAQ: RWLK ) which lost 30.89% to settle at 1.7900 and TMC the metals company Inc (NASDAQ: TMC ) which was down 24.97% to 6.910 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2536 to 676 and 92 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2452 rose and 1058 declined, while 152 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 14.33% to 20.87.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.59% or 10.45 to $1767.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 2.10% or 1.48 to hit $71.97 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 2.11% or 1.57 to trade at $75.93 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.26% to 1.1693, while USD/JPY rose 0.53% to 109.79.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.26% at 93.445.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.