The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 3.74% or 6.59 points to trade at 182.87 at the close. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 2.60% or 3.99 points to end at 157.22 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 2.31% or 4.05 points to 179.59 in late trade.
Biggest losers included JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ), which lost 3.22% or 4.24 points to trade at 127.30 in late trade. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) declined 0.67% or 1.23 points to end at 183.71 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) gained 0.05% or 0.08 points to 148.66.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which rose 10.62% to 18.95, Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which was up 8.23% to settle at 14.46 and Host Hotels & Resorts Inc (NASDAQ: HST ) which gained 8.12% to close at 19.70.
The worst performers were AbbVie Inc (NYSE: ABBV ) which was down 4.19% to 158.95 in late trade, JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) which lost 3.22% to settle at 127.30 and PayPal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PYPL ) which was down 2.85% to 105.17 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Kaleido Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: KLDO ) which rose 75.06% to 0.30, Antares Pharma Inc (NASDAQ: ATRS ) which was up 49.20% to settle at 5.58 and Veru Inc (NASDAQ: VERU ) which gained 42.86% to close at 14.30.
The worst performers were NanoString Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: NSTG ) which was down 33.63% to 21.87 in late trade, Polarityte Inc (NASDAQ: PTE ) which lost 30.84% to settle at 0.27 and Crown Electrokinetics Corp. (NASDAQ: CRKN ) which was down 19.63% to 1.31 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2442 to 795 and 124 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2913 rose and 955 declined, while 226 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 10.06% to 21.82.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.10% or 1.90 to $1,978.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 3.72% or 3.74 to hit $104.34 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 4.09% or 4.28 to trade at $108.92 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.58% to 1.09, while USD/JPY rose 0.24% to 125.64.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.39% at 99.90.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.