U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.02%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Technology , Basic Materials and Healthcare sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 1.02%, while the S&P 500 index climbed 1.43%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 1.93%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 6.94% or 3.35 points to trade at 51.62 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 2.27% or 3.86 points to end at 174.07 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 2.06% or 10.38 points to 513.61 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 0.68% or 0.91 points to trade at 132.09 in late trade. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) declined 0.40% or 1.28 points to end at 315.77 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 0.02% or 0.04 points to 222.13.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which rose 9.82% to 281.50, Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) which was up 6.94% to settle at 51.62 and Monolithic Power Systems Inc (NASDAQ: MPWR ) which gained 6.66% to close at 494.62.
The worst performers were EPAM Systems Inc (NYSE: EPAM ) which was down 6.13% to 287.84 in late trade, Nielsen Holdings PLC (NYSE: NLSN ) which lost 3.79% to settle at 22.35 and Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which was down 3.53% to 57.73 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were InMed Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: INM ) which rose 43.05% to 1.08, Global Internet of People Inc (NASDAQ: SDH ) which was up 38.35% to settle at 1.84 and AgriFORCE Growing Systems Ltd (NASDAQ: AGRI ) which gained 34.89% to close at 4.91.
The worst performers were LiqTech International Inc (NASDAQ: LIQT ) which was down 36.32% to 2.98 in late trade, Vicinity Motor Corp (NASDAQ: VEV ) which lost 25.98% to settle at 2.45 and Volcon Inc (NASDAQ: VLCN ) which was down 17.87% to 2.16 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2071 to 1102 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2576 rose and 1290 declined, while 162 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 8.06% to 21.67 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.26% or 24.40 to $1,961.70 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 3.06% or 3.52 to hit $111.41 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 2.96% or 3.60 to trade at $118.00 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.05% to 1.10, while USD/JPY rose 0.96% to 122.32.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.18% at 98.79.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or