The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 6.15% or 12.27 points to trade at 211.89 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 5.12% or 4.39 points to end at 90.18 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) was up 4.22% or 5.96 points to 147.03 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 2.77% or 3.25 points to trade at 114.09 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 0.98% or 1.42 points to end at 143.93 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 0.76% or 0.61 points to 79.84.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which rose 16.57% to 10.55, Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which was up 15.79% to settle at 15.62 and Helmerich and Payne Inc (NYSE: HP ) which gained 13.94% to close at 22.97.
The worst performers were Newmont Goldcorp Corp (NYSE: NEM ) which was down 4.35% to 58.97 in late trade, MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which lost 4.24% to settle at 523.00 and Viatris Inc (NASDAQ: VTRS ) which was down 3.06% to 16.61 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were FStar Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: FSTX ) which rose 236.36% to 4.070, ENGlobal Corporation (NASDAQ: ENG ) which was up 87.27% to settle at 2.0600 and Fuel Tech Inc (NASDAQ: FTEK ) which gained 75.98% to close at 2.2350.
The worst performers were Polarityte Inc (NASDAQ: PTE ) which was down 29.94% to 0.64 in late trade, Bellerophon Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BLPH ) which lost 16.51% to settle at 7.3300 and Personalis Inc (NASDAQ: PSNL ) which was down 14.68% to 26.45 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2295 to 635 and 81 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1910 rose and 905 declined, while 70 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.64% to 22.60.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 1.88% or 35.25 to $1837.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 1.25% or 0.53 to hit $42.95 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 1.82% or 0.82 to trade at $45.89 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.08% to 1.1844, while USD/JPY rose 0.59% to 104.47.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.10% at 92.483.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.