The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which rose 7.00% or 2.71 points to trade at 41.38 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 4.93% or 8.71 points to end at 185.43 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 4.06% or 1.66 points to 42.42 in late trade.
Biggest losers included McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which lost 0.31% or 0.67 points to trade at 212.40 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 0.18% or 0.44 points to end at 248.98 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 0.08% or 0.09 points to 119.12.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which rose 10.01% to 17.26, Host Hotels & Resorts Inc (NYSE: HST ) which was up 8.52% to settle at 13.25 and MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM ) which gained 8.23% to close at 25.64.
The worst performers were Cincinnati Financial Corporation (NASDAQ: CINF ) which was down 5.34% to 78.56 in late trade, MarketAxess Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MKTX ) which lost 2.25% to settle at 522.77 and NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which was down 1.60% to 529.64 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Urovant Sciences (NASDAQ: UROV ) which rose 93.48% to 16.02, Asia Pacific Wire & Cable Corp Ltd (NASDAQ: APWC ) which was up 53.03% to settle at 2.020 and National Holdings (NASDAQ: NHLD ) which gained 45.94% to close at 2.720.
The worst performers were Shift Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: SFT ) which was down 26.64% to 7.25 in late trade, Allied Healthcare Products Inc (NASDAQ: AHPI ) which lost 24.94% to settle at 5.900 and TOMI Environmental Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: TOMZ ) which was down 25.41% to 4.9600 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2380 to 515 and 62 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2065 rose and 723 declined, while 56 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 9.27% to 23.00 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.67% or 12.50 to $1885.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December fell 2.16% or 0.89 to hit $40.23 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract fell 1.68% or 0.73 to trade at $42.80 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.25% to 1.1834, while USD/JPY fell 0.49% to 104.61.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.24% at 92.735.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.