U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.22%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Technology , Basic Materials and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 1.22%, while the S&P 500 index gained 1.58%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 2.53%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 3.80% or 7.85 points to trade at 214.25 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 3.66% or 7.69 points to end at 217.73 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 2.93% or 5.63 points to 197.98 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which lost 0.73% or 0.99 points to trade at 134.26 in late trade. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) declined 0.42% or 0.67 points to end at 157.34 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) shed 0.16% or 0.21 points to 129.94.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Monolithic Power Systems Inc (NASDAQ: MPWR ) which rose 10.60% to 479.27, NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) which was up 9.18% to settle at 264.95 and American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which gained 8.09% to close at 18.84.
The worst performers were Fidelity National Information Services Inc (NYSE: FIS ) which was down 7.76% to 102.85 in late trade, IPG Photonics Corporation (NASDAQ: IPGP ) which lost 6.22% to settle at 137.55 and Constellation Brands Inc Class A (NYSE: STZ ) which was down 6.12% to 219.55 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Resonant Inc (NASDAQ: RESN ) which rose 256.91% to 4.390, Color Star Technology Co Ltd (NASDAQ: CSCW ) which was up 93.11% to settle at 0.8881 and Tower Semiconductor Ltd (NASDAQ: TSEM ) which gained 42.08% to close at 47.07.
The worst performers were Larimar Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: LRMR ) which was down 52.09% to 4.010 in late trade, Hudson Capital Inc (NASDAQ: HUSN ) which lost 31.82% to settle at 3.420 and Medpace Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MEDP ) which was down 20.30% to 138.87 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2491 to 766 and 116 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 3222 rose and 657 declined, while 162 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 9.28% to 25.70.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.77% or 14.40 to $1855.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 3.53% or 3.37 to hit $92.09 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.20% or 0.19 to trade at $93.46 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1359, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 115.61.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.40% at 95.975.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or