The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 5.38% or 3.21 points to trade at 62.85 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 3.53% or 6.37 points to end at 186.98 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 2.58% or 5.58 points to 221.66 in late trade.
Biggest losers included McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ), which lost 0.28% or 0.67 points to trade at 237.47 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 0.25% or 0.13 points to end at 52.36 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) gained 0.08% or 0.12 points to 144.91.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which rose 9.65% to 57.52, Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which was up 9.45% to settle at 58.00 and APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which gained 7.00% to close at 39.43.
The worst performers were SolarEdge Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SEDG ) which was down 5.85% to 314.60 in late trade, HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which lost 3.71% to settle at 34.48 and Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was down 3.19% to 111.69 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Kidpik Corp (NASDAQ: PIK ) which rose 158.15% to 4.75, Cuentas Inc (NASDAQ: CUEN ) which was up 54.55% to settle at 1.70 and Marrone Bio Innovations Inc (NASDAQ: MBII ) which gained 49.70% to close at 1.05.
The worst performers were MDJM Ltd (NASDAQ: MDJH ) which was down 25.36% to 2.06 in late trade, Akanda Corp (NASDAQ: AKAN ) which lost 19.26% to settle at 8.89 and Apptech Corp (NASDAQ: APCX ) which was down 16.00% to 1.05 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2544 to 665 and 81 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2910 rose and 947 declined, while 128 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.75% to 25.67.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.51% or 28.80 to $1,938.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 8.64% or 8.21 to hit $103.25 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 8.81% or 8.64 to trade at $106.66 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.57% to 1.11, while USD/JPY fell 0.05% to 118.67.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.61% at 98.01.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.