The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ), which rose 2.64% or 8.37 points to trade at 325.37 at the close. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) added 2.63% or 4.04 points to end at 157.79 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 2.51% or 3.95 points to 161.40 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which lost 0.65% or 0.70 points to trade at 106.67 in late trade. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) added 0.18% or 0.32 points to end at 178.17 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) gained 0.20% or 0.27 points to 133.66.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nucor Corp (NYSE: NUE ) which rose 4.99% to 100.78, DXC Technology Co (NYSE: DXC ) which was up 4.91% to settle at 35.50 and Lam Research Corp (NASDAQ: LRCX ) which gained 4.81% to close at 584.52.
The worst performers were Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which was down 5.57% to 23.72 in late trade, Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which lost 4.14% to settle at 76.19 and Cimarex Energy Co (NYSE: XEC ) which was down 4.01% to 67.73 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Vertex Energy Inc (NASDAQ: VTNR ) which rose 24.64% to 1.720, Moxian Inc (NASDAQ: MOXC ) which was up 24.55% to settle at 9.590 and Repro Med Systems Inc (NASDAQ: KRMD ) which gained 19.03% to close at 4.19.
The worst performers were Zovio Inc (NASDAQ: ZVO ) which was down 38.33% to 2.140 in late trade, Reneo Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: RPHM ) which lost 28.25% to settle at 8.00 and Contextlogic Inc (NASDAQ: WISH ) which was down 28.25% to 8.23 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2145 to 1082 and 103 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1699 rose and 1662 declined, while 112 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 16.17% to 23.13.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.24% or 4.35 to $1827.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 3.51% or 2.32 to hit $63.76 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 3.40% or 2.36 to trade at $66.96 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.10% to 1.2081, while USD/JPY fell 0.19% to 109.44.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.04% at 90.718.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.