U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.34%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Basic Materials , Technology and Financials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 1.34%, while the S&P 500 index gained 2.02%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 2.76%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 6.45% or 8.00 points to trade at 132.05 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 3.46% or 5.42 points to end at 161.85 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 3.31% or 3.92 points to 122.18 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which lost 11.38% or 16.86 points to trade at 131.35 in late trade. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) declined 0.99% or 2.41 points to end at 241.63 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 0.28% or 0.44 points to 154.68.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Paramount Global Class B (NASDAQ: PARA ) which rose 15.35% to 32.32, Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (NASDAQ: TTWO ) which was up 11.78% to settle at 123.08 and Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which gained 8.73% to close at 102.47.
The worst performers were Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) which was down 11.38% to 131.35 in late trade, Kroger Company (NYSE: KR ) which lost 3.70% to settle at 51.23 and Dollar Tree Inc (NASDAQ: DLTR ) which was down 3.16% to 156.35 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Eos Energy Enterprises Inc (NASDAQ: EOSE ) which rose 41.79% to 1.90, FlexShopper Inc (NASDAQ: FPAY ) which was up 36.88% to settle at 1.24 and Talaris Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TALS ) which gained 35.93% to close at 8.89.
The worst performers were Autoweb Inc (NASDAQ: AUTO ) which was down 65.20% to 0.79 in late trade, Enjoy Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ENJY ) which lost 52.79% to settle at 0.35 and Imperial Petroleum Inc (NASDAQ: IMPP ) which was down 34.58% to 0.50 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2514 to 696 and 98 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 3022 rose and 790 declined, while 189 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.99% to 26.10.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.04% or 0.66 to $1,813.34 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July fell 2.24% or 2.51 to hit $109.31 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 2.48% or 2.83 to trade at $111.41 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 1.09% to 1.05, while USD/JPY rose 0.17% to 129.38.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.77% at 103.40.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or