The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 7.21% or 18.69 points to trade at 277.86 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 3.50% or 5.87 points to end at 173.36 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 3.38% or 5.27 points to 161.18 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ), which lost 0.17% or 0.09 points to trade at 54.04 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 0.16% or 0.67 points to end at 408.03 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 0.01% or 0.02 points to 335.91.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which rose 7.75% to 32.80, Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) which was up 7.21% to settle at 277.86 and APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which gained 7.06% to close at 21.54.
The worst performers were Entergy Corporation (NYSE: ETR ) which was down 3.19% to 102.61 in late trade, Digital Realty Trust Inc (NYSE: DLR ) which lost 3.04% to settle at 154.68 and ResMed Inc (NYSE: RMD ) which was down 1.99% to 282.75 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Medirom Healthcare Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: MRM ) which rose 72.08% to 12.715, Transcode Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: RNAZ ) which was up 53.44% to settle at 4.02 and Amplitude Healthcare Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: AMHC ) which gained 39.83% to close at 14.305.
The worst performers were Eargo Inc (NASDAQ: EAR ) which was down 68.30% to 6.87 in late trade, China Liberal Education Holdings (NASDAQ: CLEU ) which lost 29.19% to settle at 2.110 and Aterian Inc (NASDAQ: ATER ) which was down 28.41% to 11.97 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2157 to 1021 and 134 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2635 rose and 924 declined, while 130 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 10.73% to 18.63.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 2.12% or 37.75 to $1741.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 1.38% or 1.00 to hit $73.23 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 1.37% or 1.04 to trade at $77.23 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.45% to 1.1739, while USD/JPY rose 0.51% to 110.35.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.38% at 93.108.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.