The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 4.81% or 4.87 points to trade at 106.06 at the close. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) added 4.52% or 6.65 points to end at 153.65 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 4.31% or 3.91 points to 94.62 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which lost 1.12% or 1.33 points to trade at 117.45 in late trade. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) declined 0.88% or 1.14 points to end at 128.30 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.37% or 0.57 points to 154.29.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which rose 17.72% to 18.60, PVH Corp (NYSE: PVH ) which was up 15.18% to settle at 47.64 and Arconic Inc (NYSE: ARNC ) which gained 13.81% to close at 9.15.
The worst performers were Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which was down 13.24% to 5.44 in late trade, TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which lost 4.24% to settle at 7.68 and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: REGN ) which was down 3.30% to 547.52 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Naked Brand Group Ltd (NASDAQ: NAKD ) which rose 60.76% to 0.780, Yield10 Bioscience Inc (NASDAQ: YTEN ) which was up 53.59% to settle at 7.91 and Destination XL Group Inc (NASDAQ: DXLG ) which gained 46.63% to close at 0.414.
The worst performers were Verastem Inc (NASDAQ: VSTM ) which was down 49.03% to 2.105 in late trade, Emmis Communications Corp (NASDAQ: EMMS ) which lost 26.37% to settle at 1.34 and Mesoblast Ltd (NASDAQ: MESO ) which was down 24.98% to 11.59 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2260 to 641 and 45 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2116 rose and 536 declined, while 68 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.35% to 33.29 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.66% or 11.40 to $1724.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 23.79% or 4.03 to hit $12.91 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $23.02 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.0830, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 107.25.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.33% at 100.105.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.