U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.52%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Wednesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Technology and Financials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 1.52%, while the S&P 500 index added 1.67%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 2.08%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 4.85% or 5.55 points to trade at 119.92 at the close. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) added 4.66% or 2.81 points to end at 63.10 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 3.98% or 3.47 points to 90.73 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which lost 0.90% or 1.34 points to trade at 147.68 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 0.85% or 0.66 points to end at 76.89 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 0.37% or 1.06 points to 287.99.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Arconic Inc (NYSE: ARNC ) which rose 13.02% to 10.50, MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM ) which was up 8.84% to settle at 16.50 and National Oilwell Varco Inc (NYSE: NOV ) which gained 7.97% to close at 13.00.
The worst performers were Becton Dickinson and Company (NYSE: BDX ) which was down 7.68% to 242.99 in late trade, Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which lost 4.13% to settle at 15.10 and Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which was down 3.91% to 16.70 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Phunware Inc (NASDAQ: PHUN ) which rose 134.43% to 1.570, Cinedigm Corp (NASDAQ: CIDM ) which was up 104.84% to settle at 1.2700 and Boxlight Corp Class A (NASDAQ: BOXL ) which gained 57.54% to close at 1.240.
The worst performers were Luckin Coffee (NASDAQ: LK ) which was down 35.76% to 2.82 in late trade, ShiftPixy Inc (NASDAQ: PIXY ) which lost 26.11% to settle at 7.16 and KemPharm Inc (NASDAQ: KMPH ) which was down 22.21% to 0.2060 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2330 to 559 and 47 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2113 rose and 582 declined, while 38 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 8.32% to 27.99.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.33% or 5.80 to $1751.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 4.82% or 1.54 to hit $33.50 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 0.03% or 0.01 to trade at $35.79 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.0980, while USD/JPY rose 0.04% to 107.56.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.20% at 99.170.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or