The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 4.87% or 4.43 points to trade at 95.46 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 4.29% or 5.06 points to end at 122.93 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 3.87% or 4.49 points to 120.58 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ), which lost 0.85% or 1.90 points to trade at 220.32 in late trade. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) declined 0.37% or 0.52 points to end at 138.24 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 0.26% or 0.21 points to 80.07.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Dollar Tree Inc (NASDAQ: DLTR ) which rose 12.52% to 109.83, Mosaic Co (NYSE: MOS ) which was up 11.44% to settle at 22.89 and Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which gained 10.50% to close at 7.58.
The worst performers were Best Buy Co Inc (NYSE: BBY ) which was down 6.51% to 114.10 in late trade, Progressive Corp (NYSE: PGR ) which lost 5.08% to settle at 88.21 and Hormel Foods Corporation (NYSE: HRL ) which was down 4.34% to 47.86 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Ecmoho Ltd (NASDAQ: MOHO ) which rose 153.15% to 3.62, Yunji Inc (NASDAQ: YJ ) which was up 93.33% to settle at 4.35 and Fuel Tech Inc (NASDAQ: FTEK ) which gained 85.46% to close at 5.2300.
The worst performers were Advaxis Inc (NASDAQ: ADXS ) which was down 29.42% to 0.276 in late trade, CUI Global Inc (NASDAQ: OEG ) which lost 24.04% to settle at 1.390 and Kaixin Auto Holdings (NASDAQ: KXIN ) which was down 24.34% to 7.180 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2321 to 650 and 59 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1954 rose and 901 declined, while 58 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.06% to 21.74 a new 3-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 1.87% or 34.35 to $1803.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 4.13% or 1.78 to hit $44.84 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 3.76% or 1.73 to trade at $47.77 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.38% to 1.1885, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 104.53.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.33% at 92.188.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.