The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 5.54% or 2.52 points to trade at 48.01 at the close. Honeywell International Inc (NYSE: HON ) added 5.40% or 8.90 points to end at 173.85 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 5.02% or 1.71 points to 35.75 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 0.61% or 0.66 points to trade at 108.20 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 0.44% or 0.89 points to end at 201.58 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 0.46% or 0.56 points to 120.69.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Mohawk Industries Inc (NYSE: MHK ) which rose 10.49% to 114.01, National Oilwell Varco Inc (NYSE: NOV ) which was up 9.40% to settle at 9.19 and Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which gained 7.97% to close at 28.03.
The worst performers were Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which was down 4.81% to 39.37 in late trade, Charter Communications Inc (NASDAQ: CHTR ) which lost 3.28% to settle at 584.01 and Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which was down 3.24% to 20.60 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Endurance International Group Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: EIGI ) which rose 61.45% to 9.38, Digital Ally Inc (NASDAQ: DGLY ) which was up 37.55% to settle at 3.150 and DBV Technologies (NASDAQ: DBVT ) which gained 27.27% to close at 1.82.
The worst performers were Micronet Enertec Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: MICT ) which was down 41.99% to 1.810 in late trade, Liquidia Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: LQDA ) which lost 29.00% to settle at 3.28 and Titan Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: TTNP ) which was down 22.67% to 0.1085 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2227 to 671 and 58 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1706 rose and 1005 declined, while 90 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.21% to 37.18.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.83% or 15.60 to $1895.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December rose 3.32% or 1.19 to hit $36.98 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 3.22% or 1.22 to trade at $39.16 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.10% to 1.1636, while USD/JPY rose 0.15% to 104.80.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.07% at 94.108.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.