The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 4.08% or 5.86 points to trade at 149.64 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 3.52% or 4.50 points to end at 132.23 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) was up 3.51% or 3.71 points to 109.32 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ), which added 0.59% or 0.38 points to trade at 64.68 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) added 0.80% or 0.41 points to end at 51.40 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) gained 0.83% or 0.77 points to 93.08.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Ulta Beauty Inc (NASDAQ: ULTA ) which rose 12.47% to 425.08, Autodesk Inc (NASDAQ: ADSK ) which was up 10.31% to settle at 211.38 and Moderna Inc (NASDAQ: MRNA ) which gained 8.73% to close at 147.66.
The worst performers were Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (NYSE: BMY ) which was down 1.87% to 76.14 in late trade, CF Industries Holdings Inc (NYSE: CF ) which lost 1.02% to settle at 95.72 and Philip Morris International Inc (NYSE: PM ) which was down 1.02% to 106.97 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Avadel Pharmaceuticals PLC (NASDAQ: AVDL ) which rose 133.64% to 2.50, Oncternal Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ONCT ) which was up 88.08% to settle at 1.54 and SIGA Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SIGA ) which gained 41.91% to close at 13.68.
The worst performers were Performance Shipping Inc (NASDAQ: PSHG ) which was down 63.56% to 0.66 in late trade, Iovance Biotherapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: IOVA ) which lost 53.57% to settle at 7.02 and SpringWorks Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: SWTX ) which was down 40.45% to 18.36 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2777 to 440 and 73 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 3079 rose and 680 declined, while 189 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.47% to 25.72.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.18% or 3.30 to $1,850.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.90% or 1.03 to hit $115.12 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 1.20% or 1.37 to trade at $115.54 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.05% to 1.07, while USD/JPY fell 0.02% to 127.11.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.16% at 101.69.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.