The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 5.05% or 9.96 points to trade at 207.36 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 3.93% or 7.10 points to end at 187.91 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 2.81% or 1.18 points to 43.16 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which lost 0.27% or 0.32 points to trade at 118.89 in late trade. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 points to end at 34.51 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) gained 0.29% or 0.26 points to 88.57.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which rose 10.87% to 12.75, Arconic Inc (NYSE: ARNC ) which was up 8.57% to settle at 14.19 and Harley-Davidson Inc (NYSE: HOG ) which gained 7.38% to close at 25.17.
The worst performers were ONEOK Inc (NYSE: OKE ) which was down 12.01% to 28.29 in late trade, Dominion Energy Inc (NYSE: D ) which lost 11.01% to settle at 73.59 and DXC Technology Co (NYSE: DXC ) which was down 5.33% to 15.29 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Unum Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: UMRX ) which rose 394.60% to 2.2000, CBAK Energy Technology Inc (NASDAQ: CBAT ) which was up 66.06% to settle at 1.3300 and Electrameccanica Vehicles Corp (NASDAQ: SOLO ) which gained 64.54% to close at 5.150.
The worst performers were BELLUS Health Inc (NASDAQ: BLU ) which was down 71.71% to 3.40 in late trade, Endologix Inc (NASDAQ: ELGX ) which lost 67.10% to settle at 0.253 and ObsEva SA (NASDAQ: OBSV ) which was down 47.24% to 3.25 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2019 to 855 and 64 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1710 rose and 996 declined, while 51 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.94% to 27.94.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.22% or 3.95 to $1793.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August fell 0.15% or 0.06 to hit $40.59 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.12% or 0.05 to trade at $43.12 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.01% to 1.1307, while USD/JPY rose 0.03% to 107.39.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.58% at 96.735.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.