The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 4.01% or 5.17 points to trade at 134.20 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 3.87% or 10.71 points to end at 287.15 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) was up 3.64% or 5.28 points to 150.33 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which lost 5.00% or 8.34 points to trade at 158.38 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 2.37% or 1.43 points to end at 58.85 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) gained 0.44% or 0.95 points to 216.39.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Monolithic Power Systems Inc (NASDAQ: MPWR ) which rose 9.56% to 421.82, American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which was up 9.26% to settle at 15.57 and United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which gained 9.19% to close at 38.24.
The worst performers were Valero Energy Corporation (NYSE: VLO ) which was down 6.81% to 84.39 in late trade, Baker Hughes Co (NYSE: BKR ) which lost 5.71% to settle at 34.87 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) which was down 5.65% to 77.25 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Sonim Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SONM ) which rose 103.33% to 1.22, Incannex Healthcare Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: IXHL ) which was up 48.47% to settle at 34.00 and Jaguar Health Inc (NASDAQ: JAGX ) which gained 44.53% to close at 0.55.
The worst performers were Evolv Technologies Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: EVLV ) which was down 43.14% to 1.70 in late trade, Cepton Inc (NASDAQ: CPTN ) which lost 28.79% to settle at 4.28 and Better Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: BTTX ) which was down 22.96% to 3.12 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2203 to 985 and 117 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2429 rose and 1370 declined, while 171 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 6.11% to 29.83.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 2.27% or 44.50 to $1,916.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 7.93% or 8.17 to hit $94.84 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 7.96% or 8.51 to trade at $98.39 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.06% to 1.09, while USD/JPY rose 0.12% to 118.32.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.02% at 99.00.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.