U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.87%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Industrials , Financials and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 1.87%, while the S&P 500 index gained 1.66%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 1.71%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 4.82% or 13.24 points to trade at 287.97 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 4.18% or 7.73 points to end at 192.45 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 3.93% or 4.60 points to 121.63 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which lost 1.17% or 0.57 points to trade at 48.26 in late trade. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) declined 0.67% or 0.81 points to end at 119.73 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.12% or 0.19 points to 162.52.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Waters Corporation (NYSE: WAT ) which rose 8.49% to 291.62, Expedia Inc (NASDAQ: EXPE ) which was up 6.76% to settle at 135.90 and MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM ) which gained 5.84% to close at 30.98.
The worst performers were Harley-Davidson Inc (NYSE: HOG ) which was down 17.56% to 33.10 in late trade, Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC ) which lost 12.49% to settle at 12.26 and Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which was down 7.48% to 13.61 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cassava Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: SAVA ) which rose 133.54% to 53.69, Ocugen, Inc (NASDAQ: OCGN ) which was up 74.59% to settle at 3.1600 and AEterna Zentaris Inc (NASDAQ: AEZS ) which gained 43.57% to close at 1.005.
The worst performers were Immunovant Inc (NASDAQ: IMVT ) which was down 42.24% to 25.01 in late trade, Mingzhu Logistics Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: YGMZ ) which lost 40.45% to settle at 13.81 and Koss Corporation (NASDAQ: KOSS ) which was down 37.71% to 21.800 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2386 to 724 and 72 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2311 rose and 790 declined, while 54 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 15.38% to 25.59.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.47% or 27.45 to $1836.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 2.30% or 1.23 to hit $54.78 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 2.17% or 1.22 to trade at $57.55 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.34% to 1.2018, while USD/JPY rose 0.18% to 105.09.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.21% at 91.213.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or