The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 3.80% or 1.77 points to trade at 48.30 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 3.72% or 7.39 points to end at 205.88 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) was up 3.53% or 1.74 points to 50.99 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 0.76% or 1.30 points to trade at 168.94 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 0.70% or 0.36 points to end at 51.06 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) gained 0.12% or 0.09 points to 73.43.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which rose 9.51% to 20.03, Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which was up 9.51% to settle at 11.86 and TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which gained 8.89% to close at 26.95.
The worst performers were Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) which was down 5.12% to 51.49 in late trade, Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which lost 3.56% to settle at 292.04 and Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was down 3.44% to 139.06 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Insignia Systems Inc (NASDAQ: ISIG ) which rose 200.40% to 15.050, Del Taco Restaurants Inc (NASDAQ: TACO ) which was up 66.14% to settle at 12.51 and Cumberland Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CPIX ) which gained 51.20% to close at 6.940.
The worst performers were Bolt Biotherapeutics (NASDAQ: BOLT ) which was down 55.81% to 4.64 in late trade, Alset Ehome International Inc (NASDAQ: AEI ) which lost 41.65% to settle at 0.630 and Reata Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: RETA ) which was down 37.83% to 48.92 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2492 to 796 and 106 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2493 rose and 1357 declined, while 169 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 11.61% to 27.18.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.26% or 4.60 to $1779.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 5.72% or 3.79 to hit $70.05 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 0.03% or 0.02 to trade at $73.61 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1286, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 113.48.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.17% at 96.275.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.