The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 5.84% or 12.38 points to trade at 224.39 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 5.39% or 6.53 points to end at 127.79 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 3.76% or 2.23 points to 61.54 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 0.33% or 0.24 points to trade at 72.38 in late trade. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) declined 0.17% or 0.08 points to end at 47.85 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) gained 0.11% or 0.06 points to 55.36.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Dentsply Sirona Inc (NASDAQ: XRAY ) which rose 12.51% to 59.71, NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which was up 10.55% to settle at 40.36 and Invesco Plc (NYSE: IVZ ) which gained 10.35% to close at 24.74.
The worst performers were SBA Communications Corp (NASDAQ: SBAC ) which was down 2.82% to 247.94 in late trade, Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which lost 2.71% to settle at 152.95 and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which was down 2.06% to 91.35 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Morphic Holding Inc (NASDAQ: MORF ) which rose 134.65% to 84.85, Aemetis Inc (NASDAQ: AMTX ) which was up 51.88% to settle at 14.9300 and Canaan Inc (NASDAQ: CAN ) which gained 46.77% to close at 22.25.
The worst performers were Athenex Inc (NASDAQ: ATNX ) which was down 54.88% to 5.46 in late trade, Ontrak Inc (NASDAQ: OTRK ) which lost 46.35% to settle at 31.62 and CorMedix Inc (NASDAQ: CRMD ) which was down 39.87% to 9.02 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1972 to 435 and 32 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2718 rose and 621 declined, while 51 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 16.46% to 23.35.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.33% or 5.70 to $1723.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 2.11% or 1.30 to hit $60.20 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 0.11% or 0.07 to trade at $63.35 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.2047, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 106.75.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.16% at 91.028.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.