U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 2.04%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Healthcare and Industrials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 2.04%, while the S&P 500 index gained 1.90%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 1.75%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 5.26% or 6.50 points to trade at 130.11 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 3.99% or 2.95 points to end at 76.97 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 3.58% or 6.83 points to 197.77 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which added 0.12% or 0.04 points to trade at 33.40 in late trade. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) added 0.44% or 0.83 points to end at 190.32 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) gained 0.50% or 0.30 points to 60.40.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Eli Lilly and Company (NYSE: LLY ) which rose 15.68% to 163.71, Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which was up 12.91% to settle at 19.50 and Kohls Corp (NYSE: KSS ) which gained 8.96% to close at 24.82.
The worst performers were Fox Corp Class A (NASDAQ: FOXA ) which was down 3.35% to 28.31 in late trade, Fox Corp Class B (NASDAQ: FOX ) which lost 2.91% to settle at 28.02 and ViacomCBS Inc (NASDAQ: VIAC ) which was down 2.81% to 24.19 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Urban One Inc Bats (NASDAQ: UONE ) which rose 315.75% to 27.190, ClearSign Combustion Corporation (NASDAQ: CLIR ) which was up 199.05% to settle at 2.370 and Mid-Con Energy Partners LP (NASDAQ: MCEP ) which gained 94.06% to close at 5.5500.
The worst performers were The9 Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: NCTY ) which was down 24.52% to 0.868 in late trade, Wins Finance Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WINS ) which lost 20.64% to settle at 26.45 and AVEO Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: AVEO ) which was down 18.51% to 6.2500 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2345 to 534 and 57 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2010 rose and 677 declined, while 64 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.12% to 33.67.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.45% or 7.75 to $1734.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 2.21% or 0.82 to hit $37.94 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.05% or 0.02 to trade at $40.73 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.02% to 1.1261, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 107.33.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.33% at 96.968.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or