U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 2.17%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Financials , Industrials and Oil & Gas sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 2.17% to hit a new 1-month high, while the S&P 500 index climbed 1.23%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 0.17%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 8.96% or 16.13 points to trade at 196.06 at the close. Raytheon Technologies Corp (NYSE: RTX ) added 7.45% or 4.47 points to end at 64.47 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 7.39% or 2.67 points to 38.79 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which lost 1.06% or 1.94 points to trade at 181.57 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 0.68% or 2.16 points to end at 316.73 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 0.51% or 0.57 points to 112.03.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which rose 18.43% to 6.17, Alliance Data Systems Corp (NYSE: ADS ) which was up 17.53% to settle at 49.42 and United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which gained 16.30% to close at 29.54.
The worst performers were Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (NASDAQ: TTWO ) which was down 7.34% to 130.20 in late trade, Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: VRTX ) which lost 6.48% to settle at 266.50 and Newmont Goldcorp Corp (NYSE: NEM ) which was down 6.09% to 59.21 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were MMTEC Inc (NASDAQ: MTC ) which rose 86.36% to 2.050, Mitcham Industries Inc (NASDAQ: MIND ) which was up 60.87% to settle at 1.850 and Luckin Coffee (NASDAQ: LK ) which gained 53.24% to close at 2.13.
The worst performers were BioLineRx Ltd (NASDAQ: BLRX ) which was down 30.96% to 1.650 in late trade, Atara Biotherapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ATRA ) which lost 23.57% to settle at 11.32 and Wins Finance Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: WINS ) which was down 22.37% to 7.81 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2407 to 488 and 47 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1843 rose and 831 declined, while 46 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.53% to 28.01.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 1.85% or 32.15 to $1703.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 2.65% or 0.88 to hit $34.13 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract fell 0.03% or 0.01 to trade at $36.10 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.0981, while USD/JPY rose 0.05% to 107.58.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.90% at 98.993.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or