U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.02%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Thursday, as losses in the Consumer Goods , Financials and Technology sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.02% to hit a new 1-month low, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.54%, and the NASDAQ Composite index lost 1.40%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 5.17% or 2.96 points to trade at 60.18 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 2.02% or 2.68 points to end at 135.37 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) was up 1.82% or 1.44 points to 80.58 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 7.04% or 3.64 points to trade at 48.05 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 2.33% or 4.52 points to end at 189.75 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 1.95% or 3.42 points to 171.90.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were ServiceNow Inc (NYSE: NOW ) which rose 9.14% to 528.69, Ball Corporation (NYSE: BLL ) which was up 8.57% to settle at 93.99 and Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ: STX ) which gained 7.65% to close at 103.68.
The worst performers were Teradyne Inc (NASDAQ: TER ) which was down 22.41% to 111.24 in late trade, Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which lost 11.55% to settle at 829.10 and Advanced Micro Devices Inc (NASDAQ: AMD ) which was down 7.33% to 102.60 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were National Security Group Inc (NASDAQ: NSEC ) which rose 69.65% to 15.65, Sidus Space Inc (NASDAQ: SIDU ) which was up 31.55% to settle at 10.80 and Galapagos NV ADR (NASDAQ: GLPG ) which gained 22.47% to close at 65.30.
The worst performers were Epizyme Inc (NASDAQ: EPZM ) which was down 44.21% to 1.060 in late trade, TG Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TGTX ) which lost 40.65% to settle at 8.25 and Cyngn Inc (NASDAQ: CYN ) which was down 36.47% to 1.62 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2349 to 941 and 143 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 3122 fell and 838 advanced, while 174 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.60% to 30.49.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 1.81% or 33.15 to $1796.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March fell 0.08% or 0.07 to hit $87.28 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.24% or 0.21 to trade at $88.90 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.02% to 1.1141, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 115.32.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.87% at 97.235.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or