The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 2.24% or 2.37 points to trade at 108.05 at the close. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) added 0.99% or 1.41 points to end at 143.22 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 0.93% or 3.76 points to 408.46 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 1.60% or 1.31 points to trade at 80.63 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 1.22% or 0.66 points to end at 53.24 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 0.98% or 0.47 points to 47.38.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which rose 6.84% to 24.36, Hess Corporation (NYSE: HES ) which was up 6.63% to settle at 89.15 and EOG Resources Inc (NYSE: EOG ) which gained 5.53% to close at 90.53.
The worst performers were Citrix Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CTXS ) which was down 5.65% to 98.32 in late trade, Hanesbrands Inc (NYSE: HBI ) which lost 4.98% to settle at 16.23 and Charter Communications Inc (NASDAQ: CHTR ) which was down 4.83% to 706.13 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were ChemoCentryx Inc (NASDAQ: CCXI ) which rose 95.97% to 38.41, DatChat Inc (NASDAQ: DATS ) which was up 45.77% to settle at 11.72 and Voyager Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VYGR ) which gained 44.53% to close at 5.550.
The worst performers were Allogene Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ALLO ) which was down 46.14% to 13.13 in late trade, Agile Thrpe (NASDAQ: AGRX ) which lost 28.41% to settle at 0.6746 and Nkarta Inc (NASDAQ: NKTX ) which was down 27.57% to 18.10 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1762 to 1399 and 149 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2128 fell and 1400 advanced, while 202 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.94% to 18.77.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.14% or 2.45 to $1756.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 1.51% or 1.18 to hit $79.48 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 0.65% or 0.53 to trade at $82.48 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.19% to 1.1573, while USD/JPY rose 0.58% to 112.24.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.11% at 94.115.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.