The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which rose 5.80% or 2.73 points to trade at 49.80 at the close. Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) added 1.80% or 4.02 points to end at 227.67 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) was up 1.34% or 1.08 points to 81.53 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 1.10% or 1.96 points to trade at 176.41 in late trade. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) declined 1.07% or 2.88 points to end at 266.37 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 0.93% or 1.67 points to 177.19.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) which rose 5.80% to 49.80, ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which was up 3.34% to settle at 323.36 and Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc (NYSE: ZBH ) which gained 2.54% to close at 152.67.
The worst performers were Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which was down 3.54% to 18.01 in late trade, FLIR Systems Inc (NASDAQ: FLIR ) which lost 3.45% to settle at 43.09 and L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which was down 3.37% to 37.51 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Tenax Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TENX ) which rose 85.98% to 1.990, Bionano Genomics Inc (NASDAQ: BNGO ) which was up 60.60% to settle at 1.420 and Oxbridge Re Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: OXBR ) which gained 55.22% to close at 2.6700.
The worst performers were Arcturus Therapeutics Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: ARCT ) which was down 54.07% to 42.45 in late trade, Ameri Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: AMRH ) which lost 52.43% to settle at 1.760 and Monaker Group Inc (NASDAQ: MKGI ) which was down 33.05% to 2.370 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2021 to 1060 and 97 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2301 fell and 701 advanced, while 61 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 5.85% to 22.97.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.14% or 2.65 to $1883.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.86% or 0.41 to hit $48.03 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.67% or 0.34 to trade at $51.24 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.33% to 1.2254, while USD/JPY fell 0.26% to 103.51.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.42% at 89.900.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.