The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 2.39% or 1.65 points to trade at 70.60 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 2.15% or 1.56 points to end at 73.90 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) was up 1.81% or 2.41 points to 135.87 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 2.16% or 1.24 points to trade at 56.24 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 2.10% or 5.36 points to end at 250.26 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) shed 1.59% or 3.72 points to 230.90.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F ) which rose 7.31% to 16.00, General Motors Company (NYSE: GM ) which was up 6.39% to settle at 63.46 and TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which gained 4.25% to close at 10.31.
The worst performers were Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which was down 5.33% to 572.84 in late trade, Southwest Airlines Company (NYSE: LUV ) which lost 4.30% to settle at 58.25 and United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which was down 4.26% to 57.72 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Adamis Pharma (NASDAQ: ADMP ) which rose 60.00% to 1.1200, Energy Focu (NASDAQ: EFOI ) which was up 34.73% to settle at 5.7800 and The Intergroup Corporation (NASDAQ: INTG ) which gained 29.79% to close at 51.15.
The worst performers were PetMed Express Inc (NASDAQ: PETS ) which was down 28.40% to 32.98 in late trade, Bed Bath & Beyond Inc (NASDAQ: BBBY ) which lost 27.88% to settle at 31.87 and Koss Corporation (NASDAQ: KOSS ) which was down 25.02% to 30.530 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1852 to 1320 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1945 fell and 1378 advanced, while 136 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.20% to 18.04.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 1.93% or 36.95 to $1872.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.07% or 0.05 to hit $68.88 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract unchanged 0.00% or 0.00 to trade at $71.35 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.66% to 1.2129, while USD/JPY rose 0.68% to 110.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.64% at 90.480.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.