The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 4.34% or 2.11 points to trade at 50.74 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 1.03% or 1.70 points to end at 165.96 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) was up 0.99% or 1.37 points to 140.34 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which lost 1.96% or 3.29 points to trade at 164.74 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 1.69% or 1.08 points to end at 62.90 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) shed 1.65% or 1.62 points to 96.77.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which rose 4.39% to 19.48, Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) which was up 4.34% to settle at 50.74 and Alliance Data Systems Corp (NYSE: ADS ) which gained 3.68% to close at 98.11.
The worst performers were Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC ) which was down 5.60% to 45.70 in late trade, Kansas City Southern (NYSE: KSU ) which lost 4.39% to settle at 280.67 and Arconic Corp (NYSE: ARNC ) which was down 4.10% to 34.49 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Unico American Corporation (NASDAQ: UNAM ) which rose 59.00% to 4.150, Elys Game Technology Corp (NASDAQ: ELYS ) which was up 42.33% to settle at 6.590 and Spok Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SPOK ) which gained 26.24% to close at 9.91.
The worst performers were Sequential Brands Group Inc (NASDAQ: SQBG ) which was down 57.57% to 5.130 in late trade, RenovoRx Inc (NASDAQ: RNXT ) which lost 37.58% to settle at 10.00 and Ree Automotive Holding Inc (NASDAQ: REE ) which was down 34.03% to 5.97 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1833 to 1370 and 150 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2248 rose and 1287 declined, while 141 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.79% to 16.48.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.28% or 5.05 to $1817.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.94% or 0.65 to hit $68.56 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.84% or 0.61 to trade at $71.62 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.11% to 1.1808, while USD/JPY rose 0.10% to 110.03.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.02% at 92.668.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.