The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 2.56% or 8.24 points to trade at 329.88 at the close. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) added 2.12% or 0.97 points to end at 46.64 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) was up 1.86% or 2.34 points to 128.46 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 2.07% or 2.70 points to trade at 127.77 in late trade. Honeywell International Inc (NASDAQ: HON ) declined 1.60% or 3.12 points to end at 192.07 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 1.42% or 4.31 points to 300.21.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which rose 7.48% to 48.45, Synchrony Financial (NYSE: SYF ) which was up 6.18% to settle at 40.03 and Valero Energy Corporation (NYSE: VLO ) which gained 5.24% to close at 110.35.
The worst performers were Charles Schwab Corp (NYSE: SCHW ) which was down 9.44% to 74.94 in late trade, Moderna Inc (NASDAQ: MRNA ) which lost 6.49% to settle at 154.75 and Tractor Supply Company (NASDAQ: TSCO ) which was down 4.69% to 217.53 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Casa Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CASA ) which rose 82.52% to 7.10, Frequency Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: FREQ ) which was up 30.82% to settle at 1.91 and Natus Medical Incorporated (NASDAQ: NTUS ) which gained 28.64% to close at 33.51.
The worst performers were Diffusion Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: DFFN ) which was down 34.22% to 0.17 in late trade, Nutex Health Inc (NASDAQ: NUTX ) which lost 29.18% to settle at 5.17 and Digital Brands Group Inc (NASDAQ: DBGI ) which was down 23.57% to 0.85 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2005 to 1214 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2596 fell and 1299 advanced, while 196 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 2.33% to 22.17.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.30% or 5.90 to $1,980.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 0.48% or 0.51 to hit $106.89 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 0.78% or 0.87 to trade at $112.57 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.21% to 1.08, while USD/JPY rose 0.49% to 126.96.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.45% at 100.78.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.