U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.13%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Tuesday, as losses in the Healthcare , Technology and Consumer Services sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.13%, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.52%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 1.40%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 4.15% or 1.43 points to trade at 35.87 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 3.68% or 3.13 points to end at 88.19 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) was up 2.58% or 3.96 points to 157.61 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 3.33% or 2.80 points to trade at 81.18 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 2.44% or 4.24 points to end at 169.81 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 1.91% or 5.62 points to 288.36.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Harley-Davidson Inc (NYSE: HOG ) which rose 15.21% to 21.82, Alliance Data Systems Corp (NYSE: ADS ) which was up 15.00% to settle at 47.60 and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which gained 14.42% to close at 13.09.
The worst performers were Cincinnati Financial Corporation (NASDAQ: CINF ) which was down 12.46% to 71.81 in late trade, Arconic Inc (NYSE: ARNC ) which lost 10.38% to settle at 8.20 and United Parcel Service Inc (NYSE: UPS ) which was down 5.97% to 96.43 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Creative Realities Inc (NASDAQ: CREX ) which rose 308.00% to 4.080, Syndax Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SNDX ) which was up 69.42% to settle at 19.50 and Biocardia Inc (NASDAQ: BCDA ) which gained 53.13% to close at 5.18.
The worst performers were DarioHealth Corp (NASDAQ: DRIO ) which was down 21.27% to 7.44 in late trade, Naked Brand Group Ltd (NASDAQ: NAKD ) which lost 19.91% to settle at 0.625 and Yield10 Bioscience Inc (NASDAQ: YTEN ) which was down 18.71% to 6.43 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2085 to 802 and 59 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1487 rose and 1177 declined, while 61 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.84% to 33.57.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.03% or 0.60 to $1724.40 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 3.91% or 0.50 to hit $13.28 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 0.17% or 0.04 to trade at $23.07 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.05% to 1.0823, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 106.86.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.04% at 100.053.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or